There are so many ways to make this little sweet. This is one I’ve used again and again with success.
- 450ml cold water
- 125g ghee
- 500g full fat milk powder
- 150g dessicated or freshly grated coconut
- 160g caster sugar
- one tsp ground cardamom
- 70 g chopped pistachios
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- A bar of good quality dark chocolate – 80% cocoa solids
TO MAKE THEM
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Put the milk powder and dessicated coconut into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the 200ml of water and 100g of ghee until the liquid is boiling.
- Pour onto the milk powder and mix it together really well. It will be a bit lumpy but it doesn’t matter.
- Put another 250ml of water into a pan and then add to this the remaining 25g of ghee, sugar and ground cardamom.
- Heat this til the sugar has dissolved and then add the milk powder mixture .
- Mix and stir this well over a high heat for a couple of minutes to cook out. Do not let it catch at the bottom of the pan otherwise it will brown.
- Pour this onto a plate and while it’s still soft but comfortable to touch, break off a little piece, roll it into a ball and set to cool completely on the prepared baking tray.
- Do this until all the mixture is used up.
- Once the little spheres are cool you can coat them in chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate at 30 second intervals in a microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Dip into it one of the spheres. I use a cocktail stick.
- Place the sphere back onto the baking tray and sprinkle over some chopped pistachios or dessicated coconut. You could also use chocolate sprinkles or walnuts – whatever you fancy I suppose!
- Repeat for the rest of the spheres and leave the chocolate to set before eating.