I hate throwing food away. Gujerati training from my mother I suppose so even the smallest leftover portion gets used somehow if at all possible. This is how I usually use up old, cold rice.
This is the most basic version but you can throw in leftover peas, sweetcorn, peppers, beans – whatever you want really.
- 500g of plain rice – about a soup bowl full
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- Fresh coriander to garnish
To make it
1. First add the spices to the cold rice and mix them in well with your hands – be gentle so you don’t break up the rice kernels.
2. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat – a large non stick wok is not traditional but works well!
3. Add a few seeds to test the temperature. It’s ready when they fizzle and pop so then quickly add the rice.
4. Fry the rice until it’s evenly coated with the oil, tossing all the time or using a fork to stir without breaking up the kernels.
And that’s really it. If you’re adding cooked vegetables, add them to the cold rice at the same time as the spices and add about a quarter of a teaspoon more of red chilli powder and turmeric.